Big innovative themes like digitalization, globalization, robotics and artificial intelligence (AI) demand that organizations change. If you do not go along you can no longer play.
Those organizations who can respond and adapt quicker to these changing customer wishes and needs have a much better chance to survive than organizations who cannot. But becoming an adaptive and agile organization is not easy and a lot of board members are struggling with these transformations.
This pocket guide describes how management teams can make the organization more agile by means of their governance. The focus is on the application of the FOCUS board, which is explained in a practical way. This enables short cyclical management of their long objectives and translating the goals throughout the organization. It is so that it fits seamlessly into organizations that apply Lean and Agile. But it is also perfectly applicable in organizations that do not.
Agile FOCUS in governance is the English translation of the Dutch bestseller: Agile FOCUS in besturing.
The pocket guide Agile FOCUS in governace provides a practical description of how management teams can make their organization function more agile by managing strategic goals in short cycles and with the use of visualization. The focus is on the use of the FOCUS board. This board provides visual support, promotes collaboration within the management team and between teams and brings focus.
The FOCUS board is a pragmatic visualization of the (strategic) themes related to:
■ the goals to be achieved in both long and short term: the why,
■ the initiatives that are underway to achieve the goals: the how,
■ the milestones within the initiatives that identify the concrete results: the
The aim of the book is to help management teams to adapt their governance from the often classic methods to a governance that fits in the current time of change and ever-changing customer requirements. It provides a cascade of strategic goals throughout the organization. In this way teams know how they contribute to the strategy of the organization and there is a short cycle management at all levels in order to be able to respond optimally to changes in the company and outside.
Subjects covered in the book include:
- What is Agile?
- The Agile Manifesto and the Agile Executive Manifesto
- The top down versus the bottom up approach
- The agenda and ground rules of the stand up
- Link goals with the (management) teams in the organization
- Short cyclical steering
- The quarterly change
- Scrum for executives
- A description of a case at Rabobank
- Agile leadership maturity
In addition, the pocket guide provides a number of practical tips, a toolbox with workshops and different approaches to use during implementation and an example to practice yourself.
Target audience:Executives - who want to make their governance more effective by responding flexibly and in a short cycle to changes and looking for a practical application for this that can be applied throughout the organization.
- Agile coaches - who support management teams and / or boards in Agile transformations up to the boardroom.
- Lean coaches - who support management team and / or boards of directors working with Lean and want a practical application to apply this at an administrative level.
- Managers - who are looking for a way to link their goals to the strategic goals of the company and want to manage with their own team in a short cycle.
- Anyone who wants to know more about how to apply Agile at board level.
This pocket guide deals with the area of governance with the principles of Agile and Lean.
It provides a practical application for boards and management teams. It is described by examples in its application combined with practical experiences.